1859Established in 1849, the Lowell Gas Light Company supplied piped coal gas that lit the city's mills, businesses, and street lamps. Designed in the more contemporary and elegant Italianate style, the building contrasted with earlier Federal and Greek Revival structures downtown. Built to house the company's administrative offices, the original building was added on to several times, the last being a 1920s gable-roofed rear wing containing a gas appliance showroom.
|Placed By||City of Lowell and Lowell Historic Board|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, May 26th, 2018 at 7:01am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||19T E 310434 N 4724004|
|Decimal Degrees||42.64516667, -71.31240000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 38.71', W 71° 18.744'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 38' 42.6" N, 71° 18' 44.64" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||508, 978|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 22 Shattuck St, Lowell MA 01852, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.