In 1847, Henri Castro established D'Hanis, his fourth colony, 1.5 miles east of this site. Named for a Castro Company official. Alsatian immigrants endured great hardship to build a community that thrived for over 30 years. In 1881, when the railroad bypassed the town, D'Hanis moved with it. Aided by the railroad, new D'Hanis flourished, sending cattle, cotton, and brick to markets. From 1900 a strong Mexican American community grew in the town, contributing to its fortune. The new area survived despite crop failures and the great depression, becoming known simply as D'Hanis.