Memories of Paragon Park
In the year 1905 Paragon Park opened as an ocean front resort amusement park at Nantasket Beach, Massachusetts. Rose and David Stone acquired this popular palatial playground in 1920 and they were later joined by their sons Joseph and Larry and his wife Phyllis. The Stone family owned and operated Paragon Park until 1985 when it was purchased to make way for a condominium development.
In the early years, the Park had only a few rides and also the famous Palm Gardens Restaurant and Grill, which was fashioned after a German beer garden. The fabulous chateau ballroom was also opened. Both were opened in 1905. Through the years, many new rides and attractions were added, including the incomparable Giant Roller Coaster which was one of the ten best coasters in the country. It was the highest and longest of its kind in New England and attracted visitors from all over the world.
On this site is the original Paragon Park Carousel built by the Philadelphia Toboggan Co. in 1928. This carousel has the original hand-carved and hand-painted wooden horses and chariots. Another attraction was the Jungle Ride which was a modern, updated version of the original Tunnel of Love boat ride. Paragon Park employed over 300 local high school and college students and senior citizens each summer season. Paragon
Park was a major attraction for fun lovers of all ages.
Thrilling, suspenseful, daring are some of the words used by thousands to describe this fantastic amusement park. This plaque is a tribute to the memories of Paragon Park.