This structure is known as the Ward Boathouse. Like Edward
Avery Mclhenny, Charles Willis Ward (1856-1920) ran a
plant nursery and was an avid conservationist. Around 1910,
Mclhenny and Ward met, and with Mclhenny''s permission
Ward set up a hunting and fishing camp in Jungle Gardens.
Ward brought along a 72-foot luxury motorboat, the Ethel M.
Ward, for which Mcllhenny built this boathouse. Together,
the two men bought 54,000 acres of coastal marshland
southwest of Avery Island. In 1911, they gave 13,000 acres
of this land to the state of Louisiana as a waterfowl refuge
The donation was called the Ward-McIlhenny State Wildlife
Refuge, but is now simply known as State Wildlife Refuge. (Marker Number 4.)