In the first years of the 20th century, Jonathan Pierce filed a deed with the Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio Railroad (Southern Pacific) to lay out a town along the rail line at the junction of two major roads. He named the community Blessing, and a second rail company soon built additional tracks through town.
In 1912, concerned about the educational and cultural needs of the community, local women established the Blessing Library Association. Edna Woodruff served as the group's first president. Two years later, the association joined the Texas Federation of Women's Clubs, assisting in the organization of the Matagorda County Federation of Women's Clubs in 1916.
In 1917, prominent rancher and businessman A.B. Pierce, son of the town founder, donated a former ranch building that had also served as an office and bank. The association converted it to library facilities. Under the direction of Pierce's wife, Adelaide, who also served as president of the county federation, the association funded construction of a community house in 1921. It became a social and cultural center for the town, and was the scene of dances, movies, vaudeville performances, plays, graduations, concerts, immunization programs and many important activities.
In the 1950s, the association reorganized as a non-profit charitable
corporation, thus ending its longtime partnership with the women's club. The new group continued to offer the community house for events, meetings and services. In 1991, the facilities transferred to Matagorda County, which maintains the property as a social and activity center for Blessing-area residents.