This church has historic ties to Independence Baptist church. In 1871, following Emancipation, former slaves established their own congregation, naming it in honor of their new freedom. The church, which began with 150 members, held services in a number of buildings before completing the original part of the present structure in 1900. The sanctuary's original form is still evident, with a cruciform configuration, central steeple and gabled entry. Today, the building is an architectural landmark and a reminder of Independence's religious history and African American community.