Brookings County Courthouse
The Renaissance Revival-style courthouse was built in 1911 for $100,000 to replace the original 1885 two-story $7,000 wooden courthouse. Oscar Lee, an amateur artist from Volga, South Dakota, painted several interior murals as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project in the 1930's, Other art in the building was a part of original construction.
Persistent local effort led to the construction of the Brookings Carnegie Library. Originally rejected for a Carnegie grant, the community formed the Brookings Free Library Association in 1911 to collect money and books. A mill levy to match the Carnegie grant and provide support for the library passed in 1913. The Carnegie grant was for $10,000. In 1976, it was converted to the Community Cultural Center and is operated by the Brookings Arts Council for exhibits and community cultural events.
Built in 1921 southeast of the old 1888 school that residents dubbed the "Red Castle," the High School was designed for 650 students. It had 24 rooms, offices, a gym, and an audititorium. The Middle School later occupied the building. The building is currently known as the "1921" Building as renovated into apartment and offices in 2004.
$90,000 WPA project, Central Elementary was built in 1935. Like many schools of this era, Central Elementary contained a gymnasium. The building became the Children's Museum of South Dakota in 2010.