Built in 1869-70 for George D. and Carrie Sowers, this house is an excellent example of Italianate architecture. Sowers, the first of several prominent local businessmen to live here, owned a planing mill located across the street with his partner, George Fox. Sowers later became a partner in the Ovid Flour Mills. In 1882, Frank Scofield and his wife, Adelaide, purchased the house. Scofield co-owned the Ovid Carraige Works, one of the village's largest employers during the late nineteenth century. His business declined with the rising popularity of the automobile. Henry and Sophia Hudson purchased the house in 1907, one year after Henry founded Hudson & Son Farm Implements, another prosperous Ovid business.