Riggins in the 1940s

Riggins in the 1940s (HM28W2)

Location: Riggins, ID 83549 Idaho County
Buy Idaho State flags at Flagstore.com!
Country: United States of America
Buy United States of America flags at Flagstore.com!

N 45° 25.308', W 116° 18.912'

  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites

Beacons on Highway 95

—Salmon River Heritage Waking Tour —

Lighthouse of Highway 95
In 1946, Jim and Velma Summerville built a liquor bar, cafe, and supperclub. Summerville's Cafe and Club was known as "The Lighthouse of Highway 95," welcoming countless travelers to their 24-hour cafe. Jim and Velma made their supperclub and dancehall a center for community activities.
Summerville's became a place for dining, dancing, rollerskating, movies, sports, entertainment.
The Rodeo Club - Full Circle
In the 1940s, Everett and Lorene Taylor opened the Rodeo Club and Tim Taylor's Cafe and Motel. Through the years, the Taylors leased the bar and cafe building to various business owners. The times and diversification of Riggins are reflected in the changing names: Short Branch Saloon, Broken Branch Saloon, Whisky Butte, and Ruby Rapids Saloon. The Taylor property was eventually sold and history repeated when the owners proudly renamed their new business "The Rodeo Club!"
Beard's Store
In the early 1940s, Jack and Bessie Beard bought property south of the Monte Carlo Hotel and put in a beer parlor, card room, duck pin alley, ice cream parlor and grocery store. Beard's Store was truly a one-stop-shop, where Mom could buy groceries, treat the kids to ice cream and bowling, while Dad enjoyed a cold brew and a

hand of poker. The property has changed hands many times, serving as a grocery store and is now a hardware store. Although the interior has been changed and remodeled, the exterior remains much the same as when it was originally built.
Riggins Motel
Built by L.E. "Jack" Rowe and his wife, Veda, Riggins Motel served the increasing numbers of automobile travelers at the end of World War II. Rowe was the sone of Idaho County pioneers and was related to the Riggins family living on Salmon River. Jack and Veda built the present office and bungalow just north of it in 1946, and the center section in 1947. Installation of the neon sign made it Riggins first "Motel." Other units have been added, but in appearance, the motel remains much the same as it did when built. Riggins Motel is listed on the National Registration of Historic Places.
HM NumberHM28W2
Placed ByCity of Riggins
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Thursday, June 28th, 2018 at 10:03am PDT -07:00
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)23T E 467000 N 5029895
Decimal Degrees45.42180000, -116.31520000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 45° 25.308', W 116° 18.912'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds45° 25' 18.48" N, 116° 18' 54.72" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)208
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling South
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 123 North Main Street, Riggins ID 83549, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. This marker needs at least one picture.
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?