715 61st Avenue
—Documented Property, Built c. 1908 —Charity Hall, although drastically altered from its original form, is an important historic feature of the Fairmount Heights community. The main block of the building was constructed by the Fairmount Heights Mutual Improvement Company to serve as a public hall for religious, charitable, and social functions. The Mutual Improvement Company was organized by architect William Pittman. In 1908, the company purchased two unimproved lots on Chapel Avenue, now 61st Avenue and erected the main part of the building following Pittman's design. The building briefly housed the Fairmount Methodist Church and served as the public school until 1912. In 1924, two additional lots were purchased by Malkiah Charity, one of the original directors of the Mutual Improvement Company. The hall suffered serious damage by fire and was rebuilt in the 1960's. In recent years, the building has been enlarged by both a tear wing and two asymmetrical additions.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, July 12th, 2018 at 1:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 334120 N 4307230|
|Decimal Degrees||38.89830000, -76.91283333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 53.898', W 76° 54.77'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 53' 53.88" N, 76° 54' 46.2" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||202, 301|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 715 61st Ave, Fairmount Heights MD 20743, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.