Originally Johnson Hall, it was renamed Gillespie Hall in 1995. Built in 1893 and dedicated on February 11, 1894, in memory of William James Johnson, college's first president. Girls occupied the hall for first year; boys occupied the hall from second year to 1913; then reoccupied by girls. Served as cafeteria for school until 1958. Presented by Cumberland College.
(Reverse) Gillespie Hall - In 1913, Johnson Hall enlarged by a gift from Dr. Ancil Gatliff at a cost of $20,000. In Feb. 1929, a two-story home economics building annexed to Johnson Hall as a gift from Mrs. Florida E. Gatliff. Building renovated in 1994-95 and renamed Gillespie Hall in honor of Charles Gillespie of Midland, Texas, friend and supporter. Presented by Cumberland College.