—Merged 1932 with the First National Bank of Mount Vernon —The present building was erected in 1910 after a fire destroyed the original M&P bank building. The Merchants & Planters Bank and First National Bank merged in March of 1932, during the national "Great Depression," which began in 1929. The Mount Vernon Optic-Herald of March 18, 1932 reported that the merger would "unquestionably give Mount Vernon and Franklin County one of the strongest banks in this section, as both of the banks were in sound condition." As a result of the merger, all banking operations were moved to the First National Bank building on the southeast corner of Main and Kaufman, which currently houses the Franklin County Library.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, July 15th, 2018 at 7:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15S E 292883 N 3674410|
|Decimal Degrees||33.18875000, -95.22166667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 11.325', W 95° 13.3'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 11' 19.5" N, 95° 13' 18" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling West|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 37 Kaufman St, Mount Vernon TX 75457, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.