The first burial in this graveyard, that of Wilhelm Wolf, took place in 1891, two years after the German Evangelical Lutheran Emmanuel Congregation was formally organized. The Rev. H.F. Daude (1850-1924), who served as first pastor, deeded land here in 1893 for the church, school, and cemetery. Members of the congregation, now known as Immanuel Lutheran, continue to use the graveyard, although the church relocated to another site in the early 1940s. The German language appears on many of the tombstones reflecting a part of the area's German heritage.