Third courthouse on this site. Bid for construction of a new courthouse was let in 1905 for $58,631. Designed by W.S. Hull and built of blond brick with stone detailing, it is considered an example of second renaissance revival architecture. Building dedicated July 4, 1906. Building and grounds have hosted many of Columbia county's most important political, judicial, civic and cultural events. Changing requirements for interior space have led to many structural changes. Fire on Feb. 13, 1999, caused heavy damage. This marker was dedicated May 20, 2006, during the Magnolia Blossom Festival.