In February 1699, men exploring the Bay under Captain Pierre LeMoyne's command, found no settlements. In the 1720s, one of three colonial brickyards were developed near this site. Dominic Ladner gained title to this section (22) from the Spanish, which was confirmed. by the U. S. in 1802. A portion was sold to Joseph Moran in 1832. After establishing his home he erected a small wharf, a cabin, and a warehouse near the channel. He hired Jose' Santa Cruz to manage it all. Local industries increased the size of the settlement. A Bay ferry dock was added to the wharf.
In 1848, Moran sold the property to Jose' for $170. The waterfront operations and home were enlarged. At least three wagon roads terminated here, creating a social-mercantile center with mail service. Weekend dances and social gatherings drew locals. Young and old danced to fiddles and guitars.
The 1893 hurricane and the opening of the D'Iberville Bridge in 190 redirected economic growth a half mile eastward Only the old home remained in the early 1900s Randolph and Ida Santa Cruz were the last to reside here. Only a few house-foundation bricks beneath live-oaks are visible today.