Pennsylvania College of Technology History Trail Stop 6
—1914 · Centennial · 2014 —
Constructed in 1986
The Breuder Advanced Technology & Health Sciences Center is dedicated in honor of the first president of Pennsylvania College of Technology.
The center, which helped redefine the future of the institution decades ago, remains a flagship instructional facility for a variety of degree programs as well as workforce development initiatives supported by industry.
During the design and construction of this facility, the College was faced with the real possibility that it could be forced to close when a 20-year agreement with sponsoring school districts ended in 1985.
In spite of the challenges, the College president insisted on completing the building. He believed its focus on emerging technologies, such as automated manufacturing, would help to launch a bright, new future for the institution.
This bold action helped to pave a new path, through the loss of school district sponsorship to a unique affiliation with The Pennsylvania State University that created Pennsylvania College of Technology in 1989.
Inside the Advanced Technology & Health Sciences Center (ATHS)
· Dental lab
· Financial management lab
· Plastics lab
Robert L. Breuder
Dr. Robert L. Breuder was named president of Penn College's forerunner, The Williamsport Area Community
College, in 1981. In his 17 years as president, in addition to championing the construction of this facility, he led the institution through its transformation from a local community college into the state's premier technical college.
[Marker timeline images, from left to right]
· IBM Corporation's magazine celebrated the opening of the Advanced Technology & Health Sciences Center.
· Robots tended automated machines in the manufacturing lab in 1986.
· The campus mall leading to the ATHS was a scene of events, including convocation.
· The internationally acclaimed Plastics Innovation & Resource Center is headquartered in the Advanced Technology & Health Sciences Center.
[School's centennial timeline]
1914 - Williamsport Area School District Adult Education
1941 - Williamsport Technical Institute
1965 - Williamsport Area Community College
1989 - Pennsylvania College of Technology