(Model 1936 Gibson Speeder #2)Shuttle cars were used to haul men to the logging operation in the woods. The car was a self-propelled unit with an interior engine powering the rear wheels with a chain drive. With a window on either end, it could travel in either direction and avoid the problem of turning the car around in the woods. Uncomfortable during the best of weather, the men referred to it as a "crummy". This car was a 45-man rig and could climb a 6% grade. It was used in the Blackfoot area by the Anaconda Copper Mining Company. Bill Hartley was its first operator in 1936. The car originally had canvas on the top half of the sides and had no footbreak.
|Placed By||Historical Museum at Fort Missoula (HMFM)|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 15th, 2018 at 11:01am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||11T E 723922 N 5191922|
|Decimal Degrees||46.84315000, -114.06315000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 46° 50.589', W 114° 3.789'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||46° 50' 35.34" N, 114° 3' 47.34" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 3400 Captain Rawn Way, Missoula MT 59804, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.