St. John's Episcopal Church, established and built in 1855, stood at the northwest corner of this block, its rectory adjacent. Between 1860 and 1870, the Church Home, an orphanage and school consisting of three buildings, was constructed. This was the predecessor of Wilmer Hall, at Spring Hill. Earlier, in 1855, the Mobile Female Benevolent Society had erected along Eslava Street a building having twelve apartments for the "impecunious, widows and elderly women of good character." Only the main church home building and the two middle apartments of "widows' row" remain.