The portion of East Main Street between Commercial Place and Church Street (now St. Paul's Boulevard) was notorious with servicemen all over the world until well after World War II. The district was home to taverns such as the Krazy Kat and Red Rooster that lured sailors with hamburgers, music, and flowing beer, giving East Main a reputation as the "largest, most solid block of beer joints in the world." At the Idle Hour Curio Shop, sailors could pawn mementos from their travels for drink money in nearby bars. The internationally famous Coleman's Tattoo Parlor, shooting galleries such as the Silver Bullet, and the Gaiety Burlesque Theater were among the many other venues for adult entertainment along the street. By the 1950's, the redevelopment of East Main Street was inevitable. On New Years Eve 1961, the last of the remaining taverns closed. Work started on the city's new office and financial district the following year. East Main Street was converted to Main Plaza East, a canopy-covered pedestrian mall, until it reopened to vehicular traffic in 1987.