In May 1915, Reverend William Troutman and seven founders established the First United Methodist Church (Methodist Episcopal Church South). The first church building was completed in 1916 on land donated by the Okeechobee Company, a Henry Flagler company. The one-story, wood structure was the first church building in the city of Okeechobee. The building was moved to an adjoining lot in 1921 to make way for construction of this brick church building, whose plans were approved that same year. Seed money for the construction was raised by a William Jennings Bryan lecture and the building was completed debt free in 1924. The brick church features replacement stained glass windows installed in original "rose" window frames and a Reuter pipe organ installed in 1944. The original wood building served as the parsonage until 1969, then was used as the Heart & Hand Mission and youth building until its demolition in 1979. The church has served the community by hosting Okeechobee High School graduations, numerous weddings, funerals, music programs, and other events. The church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2015 in celebration of the centennial of the first church building in Okeechobee.