The Main Water Canal

The Main Water Canal (HM2DW6)

Location: Santiago de Querétaro, Querétaro 76000
Country: Mexico
Buy Mexico flags at Flagstore.com!

N 20° 35.266', W 100° 23.756'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 32 views
Inscription

La Acequia Madre

 La Acequia MadreLos usos del agua limpia no siempre fueron para las siembras y servicio en las casas. En diversos desvíos la Acequia madre recibía también desechos de los obrajes de paños de lana, así como de
algún matadero de animales. Para ordenar estos malos usos del agua, se realizó un nuevo Repartimiento de Aguas en el año 1654, asignando por días y horas las cantidades de agua por utilizar. Sin embargo, no siempre se siguieron las normas establecidas por la autoridad, generando conflictos por los derechos de uso del agua. Durante toda la segunda mitad del siglo XVII las exigencias sobre derechos no fueron el única problema, sino también la insalubridad. Sobre la acequia circulaba agua limpia, pero conforme avanzaba el agua se agregaban desechos de aguas sucias. Esta situación fue el argumento para plantear un nuevo proyecto para abastecer de agua a la, ciudad. La obra realizada incluyó la construcción del acueducto y una red de atarjeas y fuentes públicas y privadas, realizada entre los años 1720 y 1738.El tramo de acequia madre aquí expuesto corresponde a las últimas modificaciones realizadas al sistema



constructivo del canal. Se pueden observar un desvió y disminución de la acequia hasta 60 centímetros de ancho, así como un entortado sobre las lajas de cantera que forman la tapa, para procurar mayor protección a su contenido o bien para aislar la conducción de las aguas del uso humaño dado a la superficie de la misma.La acequia continuó funcionando con estas características hasta el siglo XX, en tanto se construían las redes de agua potable y de drenaje de la ciudad.
Pie de dibujos:Ubicación del Real Colegio de Niñas de Santa Rosa de Viterbo, en cuyo huerto atraviesa la Acequia MadreInterior de la Acequia Madre con bóveda de cañón corridoInterior de la Acequia Madre con tapa de laja
English translation: The Main Water Canal Clean water was not only used for irrigation and domestic uses. The Main Water Canal also received wastewater from the many wool mills, as well as from animal slaughterhouses. In order to limit these sources of contaminated water, a new water distribution plan was implemented in 1654, assigning the days, hours and the quantities of water to be used. However, the rules established by the authorities were not always followed, generating conflicts over the rights to use the water. Throughout the second half of the 17th century the demands on rights were not the only problem, but also the



unhealthiness of the water supply. Clean water circulated in the canal, but as the water progressed through the system, wastewater was added. This situation led to the proposal of a new project to supply water to the city. The work carried out included the construction of the aqueduct and a network of sewers and public and private fountains, made between 1720 and 1738. The section of the Main Water Canal exposed here corresponds to the last modifications made to the construction system of the canal. You can see a deviation canal from the main system and a portion where the canal decreases in width to 60 centimeters, as well as a covering made of slabs of quarried stone that form a type of lid that sought to provide greater protection to its clean water or to isolate the water from the surface. The water canal continued to operate with these characteristics until the 20th century, while the drinking water and drainage networks of the city were being built.
Captions: Location of the Royal College of Girls of Santa Rosa de Viterbo, with the Main Water Canal crossing its garden Interior of the Main Water Canal showing its interior covered by a vault Interior of the Main Water Canal with its covering made of quarried stone
Details
HM NumberHM2DW6
Tags
Placed ByInstituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia (INAH) y otras organizaciones
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Monday, January 28th, 2019 at 1:01pm PST -08:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)14Q E 354516 N 2277149
Decimal Degrees20.58776667, -100.39593333
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 20° 35.266', W 100° 23.756'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds20° 35' 15.96" N, 100° 23' 45.36" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling East
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 61 Calle Vicente Guerrero Sur, Santiago de Querétaro Querétaro 76000, MX
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. This marker needs at least one picture.
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?