In 1906, the Virginia General Assembly authorized the Virginia School
for Colored Deaf and Blind Children. Founded by deaf humanitarian
William C. Ritter and Hampton Delegate Harry R. Houston, the school
opened on 8 Sept. 1909 to serve students from throughout Virginia.
More than 100 acres were eventually purchased or donated for buildings
used for instruction, dormitories, and infirmary, a farm, and other
facilities for academic and vocational training programs. Desegregated
by 1964, after several name changes the school was renamed The Virginia
School for the Deaf, Blind and Multi-disabled at Hampton.