Founded in 1894 to teach vocational skills, it produced generations of scholars, athletes, workers, creative thinkers, and informed citizens.
The 1906 earthquake and fire destroyed the original school building at Bush and Stockton streets, and a new campus was erected on this site in 1914. The last class graduated in 1972. The school building was razed in 1987, but two flanking gymnasium buildings erected in 1929 and 1936, remain in productive use.
Grateful alumni have placed the original cornerstone in this replica wall to mark the building's centennial, 2014.
Monument design by Harvey Hacker, Architect