("The Methodist Church", 1846; Paine Church, 1852-83)Founded by the Rev. John Wesley DeVilbiss (1818-83), missionary to Republic of Texas, who in 1844 preached first Protestant sermon ever heard in San Antonio and in June 1846 organized his congregation in the courthouse. Villagers called him "the little priest that owns the bell", as he rang calls to worship from vacant lot bought for church site. In 1847 he helped Presbyterians build their adobe church on Commerce Street and afterward preached there. The earliest Methodist building was a chapel erected in 1852 on Soledad Street and named for Bishop Paine. Cultural life of the city was enriched in 1859 when San Antonio Female College, later the University of San Antonio, opened in Paine Chapel. This institution was to merge with others nearly a century later to form Trinity University (1942). The Travis Park edifice was begun in pastorate of Dr. W. J. Young (1882) with S. C. Bennett, Francis Crider, G. H. Johnston, James T. Thornton, W. L. Thompson, and William Votaw on building committee. Additions (1901, 1910, 1922, 1941) modified the Romanesque Revival architecture. A 1955 fire prompted major remodeling. Memorial windows depict the congregation's history. Pastors have included many noted men, five having been elected bishops.
|Placed By||Texas Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, April 22nd, 2019 at 5:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||14R E 549478 N 3255451|
|Decimal Degrees||29.42743333, -98.48990000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 29° 25.646', W 98° 29.394'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||29° 25' 38.76" N, 98° 29' 23.64" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near , ,|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.