Sedona Fire & Police Departments
In its' early days as a small, scattered and isolated settlement, Sedona had few emergency services.
In 1948 the Sedona School burned to the ground. This motivated the new Chamber of Commerce to start a "Firefight Fund". Sedona blacksmith and mechanic Carl Richards kept Sedona's first fire truck in his garage so he is unofficially know as Sedona's first fire chief.
The Sedona-Oak Creek Volunteer Fire Department organized formally in 1957. Spanning two countries created legal and political hurdles, however, fire fighters crossed the county line to help people. The formation of the Red Rock Fire District in 1960 by the newly formed Red Rock Taxpayers Association overcame these obstacles. The new District built its' first fire station on land donated by a development in Grasshopper Flat. They added their first ambulance in March 1963 when it was donated by the Business and Professional Women's Club (BPW).
In early 1900s, the county sometimes appointed rural Justices of the Peace when there was a volunteer, like Juan Armijo. Juan and his successors had little to do. In 1940, Coconino County hired Will Steele Sr. As the area's first part time sheriff's deputy, Steele used his personal car for calls. When he passed away in 1951, his son took the job, which was made full-time. Will Jr. responded to emergencies in Yavapai County
and would wait until a deputy from that side of the county line could arrive from Cottonwood. When the City of Sedona incorporated in 1988, they established their own police dept.