The roots of education in the Humble area started in 1873 when Joseph W. Dunman (1824-1903), son of early Humble settler Joseph Dunman, opened Joe Dunman's schoolhouse for local children. In 1884, Common School District No. 28 was established but only included Dunman's schoolhouse on Atascocita Road in the southern portion of the district. In 1888, the district split, with the northern portion remaining District No. 28 and the southern portion becoming District No. 35.
Each district thrived after oil was discovered in Humble in 1904 and, by 1909, each district opened new campuses, including the town's first brick schoolhouse, The Humble School, located on Higgins Street. A new wooden schoolhouse for African American students was also built, located on the west side of town. As years progressed, enrollment in District No. 35 declined and the two districts were merged in the summer of 1918 as a new District No. 50. In 1919, Common School District No. 50 became the
Humble Independent School District.
For several decades, school enrollment decreased, but began to recover in the late 1950s. The establishment of the Houston Intercontinental Airport on the west side of town in the 1960s and the development of the master-planned community of Kingwood in the 1970s accelerated growth and increased enrollment in Humble schools.
city and school district have continued to grow and thrive. Through quality education, Humble schools grew from one schoolhouse to more than 40 schools to serve the community with more than 68,000 graduates and counting.