In 1891 the old log house that was used as the school (located in the vicinity of the Methodist Church on Water Street) became too small for the growing student population and the School Board purchased a 1/2 acre lot on Water Street from John T. and Priscilla Garey for $125. In 1892 the two room school was completed and Alpheus Welch fenced the lot for a price of $46. The school house contained 180 square feet of blackboard and in 1900 it is believed that Friendsville was the fastest growing school in the county school system.
In the Fall of 1902, F.G. Fox put an addition on the school for a total of $992. In 1903, Cell Cuddington sunk a well at the school and the School Board insured the school for $1,000. In 1905, the janitor got a raise from $8 to $10 and in 1925, the County High School at Friendsville was established. The fall enrollment in 1907 was 124 and by 1912 the enrollment had expanded to 165. In 1906 The State Board of Education extended the required course of High School study from three to four years. In 1924 the local School Board increased the amount of fire insurance to $5,000, but later that same year the foundation was permanently damaged by the infamous flood of 1924.
Friendsville Schools 1928 to Present
Because of the flood damage, a new brick school building was built on the west
side of the river in 1928 for a total cost of $46,000. Demaree Inflatable Boats took over this building in 1982 with operations that continue to this day. In 1976 the current elementary school opened on First Avenue near the orginal site of Gabriel Friend's farm and orchard called "Look Sharp." (Marker Number 14.)