This is the original home of Jonathan Hale drawn by Albert Ruger. It is based on the recollection of James Hale as depicted in Old Homesteads of the Hale Hammond Pioneers complied by C. 0. Hale. Jonathan Hale arrived in Township 3 Range 12 in 1810. Please note the Indian encampment depicted in the lower right. According to General Bierce's Historical Reminiscences of Summit County, "remains of the Mingo town can be traced in a meadow a little northeast from Jonathan Hale's home, across the road and toward the River."
"Old Brick" is the home Jonathan Hale built in 1826-27 for his family. The Hale Homestead has educated visitors about the history of Northeast Ohio since 1956 when it became a museum of the Western Reserve Historical Society called Hale Farm & Village.
This is Jason and Rachel Hammond's homestead. Their son, Theodore Hammond, arrived before the rest of the family and chose where they would settle. Jason Hammond started construction on this home in 1818 and his son Lewis completed it in 1836. In 1863 William and Mary Cranz moved their family here to "Pleasant Valley." The Cranz family resided here until 1975.
Generous donations for the Ohio Historical Marker and this
information board were received from Bath Township: Heritage Corridors of Bath, Bath
Township Historical Society, Bath
Homeowners Association, Bath Business Association, Haslinger
Family Foundation, Diane and Hayes Orender and Emily and