Road to RestorationYears of weather and wear left the Lighthouse in need of
tender love and care.The road to restoration for the Cape Florida Lighthouse was long, but exciting. First, craftsmen laid approximately 23,000 bricks to repair the tower. The bricks were custom made in Tennessee to match the originals. Next, the lantern room, watch room, stairs, spider column and other metal work were reproduced in cast iron. Finally, the Lighthouse was whitewashed, just as it had been in 1855. The newly restored Lighthouse celebrated its re-opening in 1996 - the same year that Miami celebrated its 100th birthday.Sidebar:Lighthouse restorationTimeline 1825-19961825 Lighthouse built. Brick tower, 65 feet tall with wooden stairs. 1846-1847 Lighthouse rebuilt with cast iron stairs. 1855 Lighthouse tower raised from 65 feet to 95 feet. Cast iron stairs extended. Second Order Fresnel Lens installed. 1866 Lighthouse repaired1966 Lighthouse purchased by the State of Florida. 1968-1970 Lighthouse renovated. 1996 Lighthouse restored to 1855 specifications. Captions:A 60-ton crane was used to remove the 1960s replicas of the lens room and watch room. The entire lighthouse was restored to its 1855 standards during the 1966 renovation. A specialized
team of English and American brick masons used small hammers, chisels and air-guns to remove damaged bricks during the restoration. Feel the surface on this section of damaged brick. When you walk down to the lighthouse, feel the new bricks. See what a difference restoration makes!