“John T. Collinson”Railroads built office cars for officials directors, stockholders, and other wealthy patrons as early as the 1840s. Used for right-of-way inspection trips and other business travel, these rolling offices provided an observation platform, lounge/office space, bedrooms with wash areas, dining room, and kitchen. Generally, officials traveled with a male secretary and small service crew. Originally a wooden office car, the B&O No. 908 received a steel underframe and sheathing in 1926. It was assigned to various B&O officials, including Chief Engineer (and later President) John T. Collinson.
|Series||This marker is part of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) series|
|Placed By||The North American Railway Foundation|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, June 29th, 2019 at 5:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 359155 N 4349680|
|Decimal Degrees||39.28505000, -76.63306667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 17.103', W 76° 37.984'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 17' 6.1800000000001" N, 76° 37' 59.04" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near , ,|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.