Sited on land owned by Charles
Brown, who started a ferry here in
1818, the town was named for Gen.
Winfield Scott, Mexican-American
War hero. Putnam County's seat,
it was incorporated in 1868. Its
location along the Kanawha made
it an important hub for trade and
commerce and of strategic value
during the Civil War. Use of ferry
ended with bridge opening in 1957.
Battle of Winﬁeld. Lt. Col. Vincent Witcher and Capt.
Phillip Thurmond led two columns
of Confederates on October 26,
1864, against Federal troops that
were protecting Winfield and local
river traffic. Though outnumbered,
Company D of the 7th West Virginia Cavalry
under Capt. John Reynolds repulsed
the attack, killing Thurmond and
taking several prisoners without
suffering any major casualties.