Founded in 1803, the town was named after Thomas Jefferson,
then President of the United States.
Except a small portion taken from Harpersfield in Delaware County- the entire town was carved from the town of Blenheim, one of the six original towns in Schoharie County. In 1819, a portion of the town was taken to become part of the town of Summit.
Our Revolutionary Connection
While the lowlands of the Schoharie Creek were settled in the early 18th century there is no record of permanent European settlement in Jefferson until about the time of the American Revolution.
Jefferson saw two skirmishes during the American Revolution. In the Battle of the Narrows,
militia forces overtook an Indian war party just to the north of what is now the Scotch Valley Ski
Area. Two militiamen were
fatally wounded and the Tories and Indians were scattered and fled the
area. In the sap Bush Hollow Massacre, 30 Indians and Tories surprised a group of settlers, killing three and taking away another seven as prisoners of war.
Preserving Our Name
When the town was being formally organized, the name "Jefferson"
desired by a community in the western part of New York State. It was the prompt action of local resident Colonel Stephen Judd that saved the name for our town. As the legislature
was preparing to open its session, Colonel Judd saddled his pony and rode to Albany with maps showing the proposed layout of the new town. The act of incorporation passed
legislature and the town name was secured.
The town contains 24,930 acres. A high ridge extending north to south
divides the town between the watersheds of the Delaware and Mohawk Rivers, and Utsyantha Lake on the southern border of the town is the source of the west branch of the Delaware. Interestingly, Woodchuck Hill-
which lies to the east of Mount Jefferson in the town of Jefferson - is the apex of the watersheds of the Delaware, Susquehanna and Hudson Rivers.
Right The Village of Jefferson features a wonderful village green, established in 1817 from a deed of 108 rods of land from Colonel Stephen Judd.
In 1879, the Rev. C.H. Travis had 120 maple trees set around the green, some of whom are still standing. The annual Maple Festival had its origins on the village green.
Left The Fuller District Schoolhouse in the Town of Jefferson is a classic example of the one-room schoolhouse prevalent in the 19th Century. The schoolhouse has been transformed into a museum.
Comments 0 comments