1869- 1985Side A The Civil War created orphaned and impoverished children across the nation. To establish a home for area children, a group of Hamilton women met with Reverends Thane Miller and Benjamin W. Chidlaw in January 1869. By May, the women had rented a house on North C Street. Five years later, a new house was needed. Local businessmen Clark Lane and Elbridge G. Dyer pledged a combined $10,000 to purchase the property at 425 South D Street. One condition of the gift was that home's operators had to raise an additional $2,000 to cover expenses. The newer, larger home opened in September 1875. In 1902, Robert and Eleanor Beckett McKinney donated funds to build a hospital on the property, named Ruth Hospital, to honor their deceased infant daughter. Mrs. McKinney and her mother, Martha Beckett, had long supported the home's work.
|Series||This marker is part of the Ohio: Ohio Historical Society series|
|Placed By||Hamilton Community Foundation; The Father's House, A New Oaks Community Project; Family of Kathleen Neilan Stuckey and Emma Sault; The Ohio History Connection|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, August 15th, 2019 at 5:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 708836 N 4363874|
|Decimal Degrees||39.39911667, -84.57471667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 23.947', W 84° 34.483'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 23' 56.82" N, 84° 34' 28.98" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near , ,|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.