The North Creek Railroad Station, the northernmost terminus of the Adirondack Railroad, is listed on the State and National Historic Registers as a fine example of a 19th Century rural station. The depot itself was built in 1871, and remains remarkably intact. It consists of four rooms which once served as the men's and women's waiting rooms, the station master's office and the baggage room. The remainder of the complex consists of a freight house, tool house, locomotive turntable and horse barns. The North Creek Railroad Station is where, at 4:45 a.m. on September 14, 1901, Theodore Roosevelt learned that President William McKinley had dies and he had become president of the United States. In the 1800s and early 1900s, stage coaches carried passengers from North Creek north to Indian Lake and Blue Mountain Lake (above); years later "snow trains" arrived from Schenectady and New York City, bringing skiers to North Creek's Ski Bowl and the trails on Gore Mountain. This was the first commercial downhill ski center in New York State and the second in the United States. The outbreak of WW II brought an end to the snow trains, but local industry and the titanium mine in Tahawus, 30 miles north, kept the North Creek Station operating until 1989. That year, the Tahawus mine closed and North Creek's rail yard
was abandoned. The Canadian Pacific Railroad deeded the depot to the North Creek Railway Depot Preservation Association, which opened the museum in the depot in 2000.