The peaceful hamlet of Warrensburgh, nestled in the southern tier of the Adirondack Mountains at the confluence of the Schroon and Hudson Rivers, was established in February 12, 1813. The "Queen Village of the Adirondacks", Warrensburgh is blessed with an abundance of open space - mountains, rivers and lakes, parks and recreational areas, a rich industrial history and diverse architectural heritage. The Bicentennial Garden in Marcus Brice Park was created to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the Town of Warrensburgh. Pear trees define the garden's perimeter on one side and a large planting bed containing blue and gold perennials and scrubs (Town colors) on the other. Bench seating placed in the interior allows people to sit, relax, and relive a part of Warrensburgh history. The McNutt Fountain, the focal point of the garden, was once located at the intersection of Main, Hudson and Elm Streets, across from the future site of the landmark Floyd Bennett Bandstand. A gift from a prominent Warrensburgh native, Randolph McNutt, the cast iron drinking fountain for man and beast was connected to the Warrensburgh water works and stood in Park Square from 1897 to 1928. Cast by the J.L. Mott Foundry of New York City, the fountain had a large basin in which horses could drink and a smaller one at the back, with
a place where canine friends could quench their thirst. Near the top of the other side was a small basin for birds. The brass plate on the back of the fountain was inscribed "Boys! This drink is one on me. ~Randolp McNutt". When motorized vehicles replaced horses, and traffic increased, the fountain's utility became limited and it was removed. The fountain was put on storage and then on private property where it remained for years until it was finally returned to the town. Warrensburgh Beautification Inc. (WBI), a non-profit organization formed in 1984 to preserve, revitalize and beautify the Town of Warrensburgh, was involved with the effort to save, restore and return the fountain to the community since the late 1980's, and started planning the garden in 2013. Others who contributed time, money and talent toward the completion of the garden include Fred Witz, Warrensburg Car Care; landscape architect John Franchini, local artist Mary Leonard and the Town of Warrensburg. The Bicentennial Garden is dedicated to the memory of Warrensburgh native and successful business woman Lenore Smith. A founding board member of WBI, Lenore as a champion of architectural historic preservation. An avid gardener, tireless volunteer and inspiration, at 98 years young Lenore was still learning, sharing and planning for the future. The greatness of Lenore Smith was her
ability to achieve so much and help so many, and yet remain humble. Her legacy will live on in the lives she touched and the preservation of nearly twenty homes and several businesses in our historic hamlet. Her spirit will continue to inspire us to set our sights high and reach for the stars.