Training Naval Aviators for Over Four Decades
Loosely based on the popular civil Beech Bonanza aircraft, the T-34 began replacing the Navy's original T-6 Texan (also known as the SNJ) in 1954. In 2000, T34Cs began being replaced by the T-6A Texan II. But for over forty years, every aviator wearing Wings of Gold had received basic flight instruction in a piston-engine T-34B, or its turbo-prop-engine successor, the T-34C. Although no longer serving in the Training Command, T-34Cs remain in service as aerial spotter aircraft at various U.S. Naval and civilian collectors.
Our Display Aircraft
After being delivered in 1956, Bureau Number 140921
served with the Navy's Training Command until September 1993. At that time, it was transferred to the NAS Patuxent River Flying Club, where it flew with the civil registration number N34PR. Our Mentor was transferred to PRNAM in September 2003 after logging a total of 9622.9 flight hours.
· Primary Mission: Primary flight training
· Crew: One Pilot, one Student Naval Aviator
· U.S. Service Timeline (T-34 Series): 1954 - present
· Max. Gross Weight: 3,050 lb
· Dimensions: 25.9 ft length, 32.8 ft wing span
· Propulsion: One Continental 0-470-4 reciprocating engine
Max. Operating Speed: 189 MPH (sea level)
· Armament: None
This aircraft is on loan from the National Aviation Museum at Pensacola, Florida