Martha Washington (Garrison) Stringfellow (1834-1914), a widow with three children, migrated to Hood County about 1871. To support her family, she operated a boarding house, known as "The Granbury House", at this location. In 1874 she married local builder Joseph W. Anderson (d. 1901), who probably erected this structure. Anderson was a stonemason and partner in a lumber mill. He constructed many of Granbury's homes, churches, and Victorian commercial buildings. Among the later tenants of this structure were hotels, saloons, cafes, and clothing stores.