Turpin Building

Turpin Building (HM2KMQ)

Location:
Buy flags at Flagstore.com!

N 36° 59.552', W 86° 26.46'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 37 views
Inscription

History

The Turpin Building, constructed in 1872 for Mary Turpin, features one of Bowling Green's finest facades. Italianate in style, it is faced with stone trademarked by the Warren County White Stone Quarry as "Bowling Green Stone". The "Bowling Green Stone", used in many public and private buildings nationwide, such as the Governor's Mansion in Frankfort, Kentucky and the Customs House in Nashville, Tennessee, won awards at both the 1876 Philadelphia Centennial Exposition and the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago. The intricately carved stone on the Turpin Building features floral patterns in the decorative hood molds above the windows, little faces peering at the square from the pilaster capitals and gargoyles.

The building has provided office space for insurance agents, realtors, engineers and a finance company as well as doctors, dentists, a plumbing company and a beauty salon. Pianos, jewelry, sewing machines, shoes and clothes were sold at various time in its history from stores such as the Bazaar Department Store in the 1920s and the Hartig & Benzel Jewelers shop before it moved over to Main Street in the 1930s. A popular restaurant known as the Lantern Glow Eat Shoppe served meals in the 1940s. It was also the first base for the Commercial Club, the forerunner of Bowling Green's Chamber of Commerce.



The Turpin Family Insurance and Real Estate businesses were located in the building from 1935 to 1958 and one of the founders of the Landmark Association of Bowling Green and Warren County, John C. Perkins, had his real estate office here for many years.

Hearsay
The stone on the façade of the Turpin Building was ordered and delivered for the T. D. Calvert home (later the home of Ogden College) located on the corner of Chestnut Street and Fourteenth Avenue. The building was owned by Mr. Calvert for his residence. Due to financial reverses he was unable to apply the finishing touches and had to sell the stone that had been designed, carved, shipped and was ready to install. If the stone had not been resold for the Turpin Building, it would not be here for us to admire today as the Calvert House / Ogden College was demolished ca. 1950.
Details
HM NumberHM2KMQ
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Monday, September 9th, 2019 at 8:03pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)16S E 549742 N 4094190
Decimal Degrees36.99253333, -86.44100000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 36° 59.552', W 86° 26.46'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds36° 59' 33.12" N, 86° 26' 27.6" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling North
Closest Postal AddressAt or near , ,
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Nearby Markersshow on map
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. What country is the marker located in?
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. What year was the marker erected?
  10. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  11. This marker needs at least one picture.
  12. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  13. Is the marker in the median?