This church building, constructed in 1837, still stands because of the foresight and commitment of the St. Ignace Knights of Columbus.
Originally built on South State Street, the Old Mission Church served St. Ignatius Roman Catholic Parish for many years, and was used for numerous Native American and larger community activities.
Wishing to preserve the church building as a museum, the Knights moved it to this site on November 7, 1954, and conducted extensive repair and preservation work.
The statue of Father Jacques Marquette, carved of marble by an Italian sculptor, and mounted on a base of Drummond Island dolomite was commissioned by the Knights and dedicated in 1957.
In 1983, after the Knights had operated the museum for many years, they sold it to the city of St. Ignace, this plaque is raised by the city in gratitude to Council 2173, St. Ignace Knights of Columbus, for its dedication to preserving the Old Mission Church and the story of the life and work of Father Marquette.
Comments 0 comments