Fort AssinniboineThe post's first library was relegated to a small space at the back of the Signal Corps office, but in 1888-89 the military spent $1,409.13 to build a one-story, brick, hipped-roof library with multiple wings. A visiting Helena reporter called the resulting structure "not especially artistic without, but very comfortable within." Between 1892 and 1911 the library doubled as a post office. Mail arrived via stagecoach from Fort Benton tri-weekly, providing a tangible connection to family and friends. In combination with the chapel/school, officers encouraged (and later required) unschooled enlisted men to attend classes and to visit the library after their work was done. Officers also spent time in the library studying military manuals as they upgraded their training through a program coordinated by Fort Leavenworth. In addition, the library carried thirty-three newspapers and fifteen magazines. When officers were transferred from the fort, they typically donated books and even furniture to the library, whose collection eventually contained over a thousand volumes. Checkers and chess sets were also available. In 1941, the building's interior was completely remodeled, removing all signs of its former use.
|Placed By||Montana Historical Society; Department of the Interior, National Register of Historic Places|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, November 19th, 2019 at 10:01am PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||12U E 588907 N 5372369|
|Decimal Degrees||48.49815000, -109.79650000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 48° 29.889', W 109° 47.79'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||48° 29' 53.34" N, 109° 47' 47.4" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near , ,|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.