On February 26, 1993 the first meeting of the Cahokia Association for the tricentennial was held.
The goals set forth for the organization were to celebrate 300 years of continuous settlement, from the year 1699 to 1999 and to create a memorial on the wedge to honor the people who, through the years, contributed to the history of Cahokia.
The year 1999 was celebrated with concerts, church programs, dinners and many events, such as Thirteen Star Day. The Sons of the American Revolution Monument was dedicated on the 4th of July, 1999.
In 2001, ground was broken for the memorial and the first concrete was poured for the wagon wheel that now stands here. Trees, bushes, and flowers were planted, stepping stones and benches were added. Flags of the three countries that ruled Cahokia fly over the memorial. A thirteen star flag marks the memorial to Fort Bowman. Bronze plaques that each tell of a person or time in the history of our village are placed around the walk to be enjoyed by everyone.
In 2002, the name of the wedge was officially changed to the Jerome F. Lopinot Memorial Wedge. As historian and a person who had a deep love of the village of Cahokia, this was done in his memory. The Cahokia Association for the Tricentennial dedicates this memorial to all the people who stepped forward to
make it possible. We leave it in the hands of those who would keep adding to it. Our hope is that it will never be completed, but just keep expanding..