Land near the present church site was provided to New Bethel Missionary Baptist Church by Mrs. Florida Thompson, a member of a prominent white family of Germantown. The land was made available for a church structure, known then as a brush arbor, where slaves could worship and learn to read and write. When these slaves became emancipated, this land was purchased.
for $200 from Mrs. Ellza Corneltus In 1869. In.
1886, under the leadership of its first pastor, Rev. Isaac Cotton, Germantown School opened on a portion of the land. Philanthropist Julius Rosenwald of Chicago provided construction funds. The name was changed to Neshoba School In 1912. Renamed by 1917 as Neshoba Junior High School, it remained in operation until
1969. Then it closed as a result of desegregation and consolidation of schools.
During its years of operation, the school had many dedicated principals and educators who expressed the importance of education and knowledge to all students. Most of the students went on to become productive citizens, although living through the dark days of segregation. They moved forward in their lives knowing the early history of New Bethel Missionary Baptist Church, where worship and praise have continued. Praise continued into the 21st Century under the leadership of Pastor Dr, Donald R.Ester. Due to the influence of these
principals, and educators, students were expected to succeed. Principals were Rev. Jack Bradley, Rev. R. H. Neville, Nicholas Watkins, Joseph Simmons, Henry Grinner, B. J. Calvard, Mrs. Mary Bradford, and Mrs. Gazella Watkins Brown.