In 1898 a fire devastated a Leesburg grain mill, along with several surrounding buildings. The mill that replaced the burned structure is now known as McKimmey's Mill and sits proudly at market Station.
This massive multi-level grain mill contains attractive gable roofs. Farmers brought their grain to the mill, grinding it either for local use or for shipment to distant markets. The large wooden towers held the grain in storage.
Relocated from its original site just 300 feet south of Market Station adjacent to the W&OD Railroad, the mill has been restored and still contains the huge wheels essential to the grinding process. The original scale is still inside the building.
According to land records, the Saffer family of Leesburg purchased the operation in November, 1917, for $7,000. They operated a milling business for over 50 years. In 1969,it was conveyed to Mr. McKimmey, who operated a feed business until just three weeks before the structure became a part of the Market Station complex.