1787-1987. On August 14, 1787, John Willis deeded to the Lumberton Lottery Managers 170 acres of land, "being the well known as Red Bluff where the courts are held," to be sold in lots for the creation of the Town of Lumberton. This Bicentennial Park is located on the history Red Bluff.
The beginning corner in that deed was a red oak on the bank of Drowning Creek (now Lumber River) just west of the Bicentennial Park Monument. This oak was also the beginning corner of the 1768 royal land grant to John Wilson for 250 acres, of a 1774 land grant to John Willis for 500 acres, which together include all of the original Town of Lumberton and most of the City of Lumberton of 1987.
Also at this point in 1787 was the bridge across Drowning Creek for the two stage coach roads which crossed Robeson County and intersected near this spot. These roads and the Red Bluff, which served as a landing for river transportation, were the principal reasons for the location of Lumberton as Robeson County's seat.
—Henry A. McKinnon, Jr., October 17, 1987.
Comments 0 comments