Once the home of Daniel Robert, this castellated Gothic residence was constructed in 1888 and is a careful copy of a celebrated design by noted architect Alexander Jackson Davis.Borough of Somerville
The building is the second on this site, preceded by a residence in a similar style that was constructed in the early 1840s for Albert Camman. Upon his death in 1866, the home was purchased by Eugene Doughty. Later, his son Joshua, sold the property to Daniel Robert.
The original structure was replaced by the present one. After Mrs. Robert's death in 1923, the estate was sold to the Somerville Lodge of Elks. The ballroom they added now houses the Borough Library. The property was acquired by the Borough of Somerville in 1958.
Fires in 1967 and again in 1980 required extensive renovations. However, much of the elaborate original interior remains intact.
David Hollod, Mayor