Near here, at the end of Eastern Avenue, is the site of one of three forts built to defend Annapolis Harbor from British raids during the Revolutionary War.
Built in 1776, the fort had major defenses of trenches, earthen ramparts and fifteen cannons. In 1781, when Lafayette was stationed at Annapolis, his troops made the fort fully operational. The trenches provided cover for troop movements between the ramparts and the water's edge.
During the Civil War, the fort served as a hospital for Union soldiers recovering from smallpox. No trace of the fort remains today.
Text with upper-left photo: An artist's concept of the fort at Horn Point after 1794.
Text with main photo: Lafayette's troops camped some distance from the fort on Benjamin Ogle's Horn Point Farm, at the near end of the Spa Creek drawbridge.