This house was built by Rembrandt Peale in 1814 as a Natural History Museum and Gallery of the Fine Arts. Robert Carey Long was the Architect. Purchased by the City of Baltimore, 1830, Jacob Small being Mayor, it was occupied as the City Hall from that year until 1875.
In 1930 and 1931, at the direction of William F. Broening, Mayor, under the supervision of Charles F. Goob, City Engineer, it was reconstructed by a committee consisting of Chester W. Snyder, Chairman, John W. Scarff, Architect, and Charles Morgan Marshall, Builder.
By ordinance of the city council it is dedicated to the conservation of objects depicting the customs and manners of the citizens of Baltimore City throughout its history, that every generation may have in safe keeping a visible record of its communal life.