This house was built in 1869 by James McCormick, Jr. (1832-1917), a noted banker, industrialist, community leader and member of one of Harrisburg's oldest families. His father, James McCormick Sr., was one of the early Presidents of Dauphin Deposit Bank (now Allfirst Bank). James Jr. succeeded his father in this role as did his son Donald m. McCormick, resulting in the family having leadership roles in the bank for over a century from 1840 to 1945. the house is one of the best surviving examples of the stylish mansions which would rise on Front Street after the Civil War. Second Empire in architectural style, the edifice is beautifully executed in design and detail. the house stayed in the McCormick family until Donald willed it to the Harrisburg Public Library (now Dauphin County Library System) upon his death in 1945. the house remained the property of the Library until 1976 when it was sold for professional offices. It has since undergone several restorations and remains a true landmark of mid-19th Century Harrisburg.
Photographed circa 1875 shortly after the Mansion's construction.