Home of the America's CupJohn Cox Stevens, an outgoing member of Hoboken's founding family and avid boater, organized the New York Yacht Club (NYYC) on July 30, 1844, and served as its first Commodore. He built the first clubhouse on this site at the foot of Tenth Street. Renowned architect A.J. Davis may have designed the Gothic-style cottage. NYYC meetings and its annual regatta took place here from 1845 to 1865. Stevens also built the yacht America and sailed it to England to race and win the first "America's Cup" in 1851. The NYYC moved the clubhouse three times. It now stands at the club's Newport RI facility.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 21st, 2014 at 8:06am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 582381 N 4511278|
|Decimal Degrees||40.74833333, -74.02416667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 44.9', W 74° 1.45'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 44' 54.00" N, 74° 1' 27.00" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||201, 732|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 77 Frank Sinatra Dr, Hoboken NJ 07030, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.