"To Serve the Present Age" - Charles Wesley
From Court House to Church
Thirty-two charter members met July 24, 1858, in the Frederick County Court House and were organized as a congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, Virginia Conference.
The first church building was erected 1858-59 on this site near the corner of Braddock and Wolfe. The first service was the celebrating of Christmas, 1858, in the basement at the partially completed church. The church building was dedicated July 1859.
Civil War and Recovery
After the Battle of Kernstown, March 23, 1862, the wounded were brought to the church which continued to be used as a hospital by occupying forces throughout the war. Damaged extensively, it was partially repaired [not legible]
A Church for the 20th Century
During the Post-War Era the church and Sunday School membership grew steadily, demanding more room. The original structures were remodeled and enlarged from a practically new sanctuary (1898), a Sunday School House was built (1904), and the Golden [not legible] Bible Class remodeled the sanctuary basement for their classroom (1913).
In time these buildings have been replaced by structures extending west-ward to Washington Street within four blocks of "the [not legible] where Bishop Francis Asbury had preached [not legible], June 8, 1786.
Present buildings Braddock Street Methodist Church:
Education Building -1958
Sanctuary - 1974